So, You Want To Start A Blog?
Blogging is quickly becoming one of the most sought after things for all sorts of markets these days. There are blogs for fitness & health, parenting, DIY, organization, celebrity gossip, etc. Whatever the topic- you can write a blog about it! If you are thinking of starting a blog- this is an easy place to start. I will give you a few steps to have you well on your way to blog heaven.
- Decide on a topic: A lot of bloggers start out blogging about everything. That’s not a bad route to start out with – until you discover what it is you really want to focus on. Deciding what to blog about was one of the easiest things for me because I love my topics so much!! Here are a few questions to ask yourself to help you narrow in on a blogging topic.
- What am I passionate about?
- What am I already doing a lot of?
- What do I find myself constantly giving advice for?
Any one of these answers could give you the best idea for what your blog topic should be!
- Give your blog a name: This steps will either stump you for a long while, or you’ll get it pretty quickly. Your name can be fun and witty, it could be named after it’s author (you!!), it can be more serious. Make sure the name matches the vibe you want your blog to have! Having trouble picking a name? Try a name generator!
- Set up hosting: For new bloggers, I recommend using BlueHost. I actually still use it because I love it so much! It’s fantastic for hosting your blog, and they constantly have great discounts. Right now they have a great deal to get hosting for just $2.95 a month!
- Install WordPress: This is the awesome/fun/creative part of getting your blog going!!! WordPress is a blog publishing software. It helps you upload content with little or no coding necessary. There are other platforms that help you blog, but WordPress is the most commonly used blogging service on the web. WordPress is very simple to set up. You can go to WordPress.org and download the files and then install it yourself.
- Install your theme: Blue Host has a few free themes you can choose from and it also has some great themes you can pay for. My personal favorite, though, is Etsy. The wonderful people at Etsy are constantly developing and coding GORGEOUS themes for a great price. So choose your favorite and get it installed!
Once you are done with those steps you are WELL on your way to your very own blog! Some other tips before you launch your site:
- Have a bit of content all ready to go once you go live. This way your followers and readers have a bit to go through so you don’t get caught behind the curve.
- Get a following going BEFORE you launch. Sign up for all the different social media platforms so you can share the heck out of your brand before you launch the actual blog. You don’t need all the social media platforms but the ones I definitely wouldn’t go without are:
- Create some incentive material for your subscribers so that you have something to offer them when they sign up! This is a great way to gain loyal followers. And, if you have it all ready before you go live, then all you have to do is send it to them once they’ve signed up!
Is your blog all ready to go and live? Email me a link to your blog and I will check it out so that I can see all your hard work! I’ll also put your blog in my monthly newsletter to MY subscribers so they can come check you out as well!!
*Update- The Hello Mamma will be launching an eBook and companion workbook for starting and maintaining your blog! Subscribers get a code to get the eBook for free, and the workbook at a great discount!! Want to sign up for the eBook launch? Go here to sign up!