How to develop a routine that will maximize your day and save time!
“There is only one thing more precious than our time, and that’s what we spend it on.”
– Leo Christopher
It seems like everyone spend their time rushing from one appointment to the next. Sound like you? Well, this post is definitely for you then! Studies show that the best way to go through your day, for both time and sanity’s sake, is my scheduling your time blocks and setting a routine.
Developing a routine can sometimes be easier said than done.
With these tips it doesn’t have to be. Most important, though, is to remember to stay calm and flexible. We can’t always stick to a routine, sometimes life can get in the way. So don’t stress about it, that’ll just make you feel worse.
Here are some great tips for scheduling out your day to save as much time as you can-
The night before:
- Look at tomorrow’s schedule, so you can plan outfits and things ahead of time.
- Set your alarm for a 6 am or earlier wake up time. The only exception to this is if you work a job with graveyard shifts. Outside of that, most studies show that waking up sometime between 5 and 7 am leads to not only a more productive day, but a better night’s sleep as well.
- Turn off all electronics 1 hour before you plan to fall asleep. Screen time causes a higher alertness in our brains which delays sleeping patterns.
When waking up:
- Don’t stress out about how early it is. Giving yourself time to drown in complaint will just delay getting up and being productive. Or worse, cause you to just go back to sleep. Don’t let this happen!
- Similar to that, don’t press the snooze button. My biggest suggestion is to actually place your alarm clock somewhere out of reach. This way your body has to phyically get up to turn it off. Then you are already out of bed!
- Set a simple morning routine for yourself. Basics you will want to include are: drinking a full glass of water before anything, taking a shower (unless you like to shower before bed), some sort of physical activity like yoga or a brisk walk.
- One of the biggest suggestions I have for the morning is DON’T EMAIL! Let your brain wake up naturally before you tackle any screen time.
Kicking butt all day long:
- Avoid any TV time until the end of your day, unless for some reason it’s part of your job. TV should be considered a reward for a job well done throughout your day.
- Having some sort of background music is extremely motivational. Our brains like to consistantly be stimulated and adding music to the background is a very easy way to do this. Studies also show that music helps with motivation.
When at work:
- Stay away from social media as long as possible. Again, the exception here is if it’s related to work.
- Start your work day with the most important tasks. This ensures that you get them done before wasting time with busy work.
- Manage your energy by blocking tasks into time frames, being sure to leave busy work for absolutely the last thing.
- Use the end of the day to indulge yourself. Play games with the family, watch a movie or TV, read that magazine that’s been sitting on your coffee table. You earned it!
- Don’t forget to plan and set up for tomorrow as well.
Once you follow all this, your days should start to feel much more productive! I know mine does!
Need help figuring out your own schedule? Leave a comment or email me!
Have a great day!